Monday 26 November 2012

New beginnings..

I can't believe it's taken me this long to write but by the end of this post you will agree that it was most definitely worth the wait! I don't really know how to build up to it without giving it away and I'm a fan of surprises so I'm just going to come right out and say it...

I have now been dressing free for two whole weeks.

That is to say, it has now been two whole weeks since the day I went to the hospital and my nurse told me that the wound that has plagued me for the last four years and seven months was now healed and I no longer need any form of dressing on my leg.

Even after two weeks I think I need a moment to gather myself after writing that. It still amazes me and I still feel I need to pinch myself to believe its true. It's just unbelievable to me, I get so emotional at the thought that something that has held me back for so long is now over.




If you'd have told me on the day I broke my leg nearly five years ago that that one incident would have had this huge an impact on my life I never would have believed you. I mean you don't imagine for one minute that breaking two bones in your leg would result in a pressure sore that covered the entire underside of your thigh. Or that it would eat away the muscle so badly that you could see the bone and give you an infection that very nearly would cost you your life. Or that at the age of 21 you would hear a doctor say the words "I don't know what else I can do for you". It just doesn't seem possible. But it did. And without sounding like I'm blowing my own trumpet, to think that little old me has over come all these events, with relatively little scarring, I'm just so proud of myself.

There's a hundred plus thank you's that I need to make, to all the nurses over the years, the numerous consultants that have contributed their knowledge, all staff on the many wards I have occupied, all my family and friends who have stood by me through thick and thin... There's just too many to do individually. However there are three people who deserve much more than just two words so I'd like to just write a little bit to them.

Firstly, to my mum. We don't always see eye to eye, in fact we rarely see eye to eye(!) but it's pretty safe to say that without you and your help, there's no way I'd have made it to where I am today. You've come to nearly every single hospital appointment with me, held my hand and made sure I never had to deal with anything on my own and I really am truly grateful.

Secondly, my dad. I know mum and dad go hand in hand but I couldn't thank them together. They've been there in their separate ways, and they've been there together but I've always been a daddy's girl and I want to say thank you. You've played a very different role than mum, you're less hands on (thankfully lol) but I've had a lot of emotional hurt over these four years - separate from the leg issues - and you've stood by me like a dad does and in a very dad way threatened great pain on anyone who got in the way of my happiness! It's greatly appreciated!

And thirdly, and by no means least-ly, my boy. This last 12 months since I have known you and 10 months since we started the best relationship of my life, it cannot be denied, has been the time that I have healed the most. I think people greatly underestimate the effect that personal well being and emotions actually have on your health - but anyone who doesn't believe that if you feel good inside it will benefit your health needs to take a look at my life this past year! I think anyone who knows me would say that I have been so much happier since I met you and I genuinely believe that that is one of the major reason for my new found healing abilities! Well, that and your healing hands obviously ;) haha.

No blog entry is going to be anywhere near a big enough thank you but I wanted to say it as publicly as I could and short of writing to the papers or carting my bum to the rooftops and shouting as much as my little voice will let me, I thought this was my best method.

The leg journey is by no means over, now comes the time where I have to be sensible and look after myself but I am confident that the new year will now bring a new, healthier me.

I can't wait to start my life properly :) how exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment