Wednesday 22 August 2012

Goodbye for now..

I would like to introduce you to one of the nicest guys you are ever likely to meet.. This is my friend Danny.



"Friend" is kind of an understatement to be honest, he's much much more than that to me. I've known him for around about eight years and from the very beginning, when he was just 13 and I was 17, we just clicked. as cheesy or corny as that might sound, it's true. And not in that way before you think it, just in the sense that I knew from day one that his friendship would be something very special to me.

Now, he's not died or anything like that, I can feel this having a slight morbid edge to it but it's nothing like that. But I'm not going to see him for quite some time. He's gone and got himself a job in Canada. My initial reaction to this news was - rather selfishly - "Nooo don't go you can't leave us!" but I soon realised just how selfish that was and even though it took a lot of effort, I tried to be supportive and encourage him as best I could.

We had a big surprise bon voyage/21st birthday party for him on Saturday night and it was very emotional! I think I must have spent the whole last like 2 hours of the night crying.. and a lot of the next day! Now, some people might not understand why I was so upset, mine and Danny's friendship wasn't very openly close if that makes sense? We didn't speak every day, we didn't go out every weekend, in fact I think I could count on my fingers how many times he and I went to lunch just the two of us but I know without a shadow of a doubt that if I ever needed him he would be there in the drop of a hat. I've always said he's like my little-big brother. Depending on the situation, I care for him as though he's my little brother but the majority of the time it's him caring for me and looking out for me.. Like a big brother should!

He's been there through a lot of big events in my life and I really owe him a lot for helping me through them. He was my GB buddy on all those long journeys to and from camps, my Kanye buddy, he was one of the first people I spoke to while I was in hospital after breaking my leg, and one of only two people from my team to come and visit me while I was deathly ill, he's been my rock through various break ups - restoring my faith in men on numerous occasions - and generally just been an all round diamond of a friend.

I'm so proud of him for going off into the big wild world and making something of himself, it takes a lot of courage to do what he's doing and I know he's going to embrace it and come back one day as an even more amazing person than the one he left as. I'm not saying it won't be difficult at times - for him and for us back here - I mean he's only been gone for three days and I'm missing him already, but it's going to be worth it.

I'm already saving up for my flight out there! It's going to take a while but getting a Danny hug at the end of the nine hour expensive flight and then a 10 hour drive on top of that will totally be worth it! (Yeah he's in the hidden depths of Canada just to make it that much more difficult!)

Well, I didn't think I'd make it this far without crying, but I have so I'm going to try and finish without a tear too. I just want to say if by any chance you're reading this Dan that I'm so very proud of you and even though I can't wait to see you I hope you love it out there and really make a go of it for yourself. I love you so much and I'll be thinking about you every day, I'm only a Skype call away if you need a friendly face and an English (Mancunian, not Yorkshire!) accent to talk to! Keep smiling gorgeous :)

:,) I said I'd try.. I didn't promise!



No comments:

Post a Comment